Servings: Makes 8 cups
8 cups popcorn, popped
1 tbsp molasses
½ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp bacon fat
2 tbsp light corn syrup
½ cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
¼ tsp baking soda
4 ounces cooked bacon, chopped
1) Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
2)In a medium size pot, combine the molasses, brown sugar, butter, bacon fat, corn syrup and
baking soda over medium heat. Stir frequently until all ingredients are melted into a caramel
sauce, while making sure nothing sticks to the pot and burns. Turn off heat and let caramel cool slightly before pouring.
2) In a large bowl, mix the popcorn and the pecans. Wearing protective gloves, slowly pour half of the caramel mixture over the popcorn. Using a spatula, fold the mixture gently. Once folded, add remaining caramel mixture and fold once again, making sure all popcorn is evenly coated.
3) On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spread popcorn mixture, making sure not to overcrowd the sheet.
4) Bake for 45 minutes, turning and mixing popcorn every 15 minutes.
5) After 45 minutes, carefully mix in chopped bacon and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
6) Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. While cooling, mix the popcorn well to ensure bite-size pieces.