BY MELBA WILSON
These Sweet Potato Waffles are from our classic Melba’s restaurant in Harlem. If you haven’t been there yet, you should check it out!
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1 cup half and half or vanilla coconut milk
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs,separated,
Nonstick cooking spray or butter for the waffle iron
1. Drop the sweet potatoes, in their skins, into a pot of boiling water and cook until fork tender, 25 min. When cool, peel the skin and mash the potatoes. Measure and set aside 1/2 cup.
2. Preheat waffle iron.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until combined.
4. In another bowl, whisk together half and half, mashed potatoes, melted butter and egg yolks.
5. In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks and set aside.
6. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Whisk together but do not over mix.
7. Fold in egg whites.
8. Grease or spray waffle iron and pour enough batter in to fill halfway. Close the lid and cook 3-4 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter, respraying the waffle iron each time.
9. Serve with butter, maple syrup, whipped cream, fresh fruit or fried chicken.