A great way to get inspired about your veggies and grains is to explore how different cultures prepare them. It will open your mind and palette to so many different tastes and textures as well as introduce some ‘exotic’ vegetables to the oh-so-predictable veggie list of kale, broccoli and cauliflower!
A few more Korean-inspired dishes for you to try:
Calories per serving: 395 per serving
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 daikon radish
1 pound spinach
1 lb. bean sprouts
½ lb. shitake mushrooms
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. chili flakes
3 tsp. sesame oil
salt and pepper , to taste
sesame seeds for topping
1. Radish: Peel the radish and julienne into matchsticks. Top with 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons sugar and let sit for 10 minutes. The radish will release water. Drain the excess water and mix with 1 teaspoon garlic, ½ teaspoon chili flakes, and ½ teaspoon sesame oil.
2. Soy bean sprouts: Bring a medium pot of water to a boil with 2 teaspoons salt. Blanch the beansprouts, drain and shock in ice-cold water. Toss with ½ teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and ½ teaspoon sesame seeds.
3. Spinach: Blanch the spinach in the same pot of water as the bean sprouts for 20-30 seconds. Drain and shock the spinach in ice cold water. Squeeze out all of the excess water and cut into strips. Toss with ½ teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and ½ teaspoon sesame seeds.
4. Zucchinis: Cut the zucchinis in half-moons. Generously sprinkle salt over sliced zucchinis and set aside for 10 - 15 minutes, they will release water. Squeeze out excess liquid from zucchini. Add 1/2 clove minced garlic and ½ teaspoon sesame oil. Sauté in a lightly oiled skillet for 1-2 minutes over medium high heat.
5. Carrots: Julienne the carrots into matchsticks. Sauté in a lightly oiled skillet for 1-2 minutes over medium high heat, sprinkling salt and pepper to taste.
6. Shitake Mushrooms: Slice the mushrooms thinly and sauté with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Add 2 teaspoons soy sauce and ½ teaspoon sesame oil.
7. Prepare whole grain rice. Reserve
8. Cook eggs sunny-side up. Reserve
9. Assemble each bowl starting with a cup of rice, followed by a portion of each vegetable, and topped off with one fried egg.