This refreshing salad balances bitter radicchio against oranges and nutty farro. Loaded with vitamins and fiber, farro is a nutritious but often overlooked grain. I love how the fennel bulbs tease out this healthy salad’s sweetness. Try serving it for a light weekend brunch.
Grains are a great way to add texture to any salad. Try these recipes using grains and ingredients from your local farmers market:
1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 fennel bulbs, cut into quarters with the core intact
1 red onion, cut into quarters with the core intact
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing the vegetables
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Juice and segments from 3 oranges (about 3 tablespoons juice)
1 head radicchio, shredded (about 3 cups)
4 basil leaves, chopped
8 mint leaves, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked farro
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Heat a small pan over low heat. Add the almonds and fennel seeds and saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat a grill pan over high heat.
3. Brush the fennel and onion with olive oil. Place on the grill and grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and softened. Set aside. Grill the garlic for 4 minutes.
4. Chop the fennel, onion, and garlic and transfer to a bowl. Add the vinegar, orange juice and segments, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, the radicchio, basil, mint, farro, almonds, and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
5. To serve, divide the salad among four to six plates. Top with the shaved Parmesan.