Miami is a bubbling hot pot of diverse ethnic cuisines. From Haitian to Italian, this city's got it all. Although there are lots of great dining options in Miami, here are five of our favorites.
1. Tap Tap: Serving up some of Miami's best Haitian, Tap Tap brings island food to the mainland. Try the lanbi pike nan ji sitwon, spicy marinated conch, a speciality. Haitian food packs a powerful heat, so be careful-the pwason gwosel, poached whole yellowtail snapper served with a scotch bonnet lime sauce, will shock chili novices.
2. Sra. Martinez: In Miami's happening Design District, check out Sra. Martinez from James Beard Award winner Michelle Bernstein, whose other restaurant Michy's put Miami cuisine on the food map. The restaurant used to be a Post Office, but now the interior is filled with romantic leather and lights. Her Latin inspired fare puts a high-end twist on traditional dishes. Sweetbreads come with sticky oranges, soy, and scallions; the menu dances between roasted bone marrow, squid ink risotto, and prawns a la plancha.
3. Fifi's Seafood Restaurant: For spectacular Latin fusion, look no further than Fifi's. Start with blue soft shell crab in ponzu dipping sauce, and then order the catch of the day. Fish doesn't come fresher.
4. Versailles Restaurant: You can't visit Miami and skip Cuban food. Versailles dishes out Cuban classics worthy of French royalty. Plantains are a must, and don't leave without tasting the ropa viejo. Meaning "old clothes," ropa viejo is flank steak in a tomato sauce, and is particularly delicious at Versailles.
5. Scarpetta: Scott Conant is a giant in the world of Italian cooking. At Scarpetta, he crafts contemporary Italian food-rustic but refined. Conant focuses on showcasing local and seasonal ingredients. For instance, the spaghetti with tomato and basil might sound simple, but using the best ingredients takes this Italian standard to a whole new level.
For more Miami dining suggestions, check out Alison Corbat's article Spend Money on Clothing or Food?
Photo: Piutus on flickr