Fruit salad is one of the best parts of the summer. There are such a wide variety of tasty fruits available and in season so keeping healthy is hardly a challenge. A fruit salad of your favorites is a great way to start off the day with a bowl of cereal. Try it out later in the day for a quick, low-calorie snack or side dish. You can even add a dollop Greek yogurt or whipped cream for a healthy and mouth-watering dessert!
Peruse your local farmer's market to find some local varieties of familiar fruits or even entirely new fruits. The best way to make fruit salad, of course, is to do it with the fruits you like best! Some favorites are:
* Grapes - Halving them make these little guys easier to grab and gives them a different texture. They're full of fiber and delicious straight from the market.
* Pears - even though they're available year-round, eating pears in season is an unforgettably delicious experience. They'll start appearing around July in the US.
* Citrus - tangerines, oranges , grapefruit, mandarins, and Clementines all have distinctive flavors, so choose your favorite, dice it and throw it in!
* Melon - melons like cantaloupe, water melon, and honeydew make a great salad together, but each can also go well with other fruits, providing a contrast in texture and taste
* Berries - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, you name it and it makes a great addition. The intensity of these little fruits really increases when they are in season, so take advantage! Delicious on their own, berries are also great stirred into yogurt or blended into a smoothie.
Sweeten up your day with this great summer bounty!