If you’re in search of a tasty detox, you can be sure this captivating green bean salad will be your remedy to some internal spring cleaning. This salad of sorts can be served alone or as a side. With plenty of zest and garlic, you will neither feel deprived of taste or lacking nutrition.
Calories per serving: 175 per serving
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
1 pack organic green beans
4 spring onions/scallions
½ red chilli
2/3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp capers, chopped
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
zest of ½ lemon
juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Wash and trim the green beans. Blanch the green beans for a few minutes until just tender – careful not to overcook as they’ll lose their color and go horribly floppy. Immediately drain and place in a pan of iced water or alternatively run under a very cold tap for a minute or two.
2. Finely slice the garlic and chili (don’t bother to remove seeds). Set aside. Chop the scallions into medium to thick pieces.
3. Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan/skillet and add the spring onions, chili and garlic and lightly fry for about a minute to two minutes. Season, take off the heat and allow to cool.
4. Halve the green beans by slicing diagonally and transfer to a large bowl, season and grate over lemon zest.
5. Roughly chop the capers and finely chop the flat leaf parsley and add to bowl along with the spring onion mix ensuring to pour over any remaining oil.
6. Squeeze over lemon juice, season and lightly toss until all the greens are coated.
7. Refrigerate for later or eat immediately. Would make a beautiful accompaniment to most meals but also delightful on its own.