Vegetarianism has finally been accepted as a mainstream way of eating. A vegetarian restaurant is opening in my neighborhood, meat-free recipes fill the pages of the newspaper, and many friends consult me on potentially adopting the vegetarian lifestyle.
Now that I’ve mastered an animal-free diet, I’m going to take this vegetarian trend to the next level and give veganism a try. Because who knows, maybe that will be mainstream soon too. Here is a vegan recipe that I love:
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cups brown sugar
2/3 cups white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp vanilla
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips.
2. In a small bowl, mash the banana and the vanilla. Add the banana mixture and the oil to the dry ingredients.
3. Mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Form one inch balls with two spoons and place on a sheet tray leaving three inches between them.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to stop the baking process.