Recipe by Aine Carlin
While traditional coleslaw tends to be clogged with mayonnaise that coats every strand of carrot, red cabbage and onion, this fresh take on the classic barbeque and sandwich side is enhanced with a light vinaigrette that allows the vegetables to come to life and keep their crunch.
Calories per serving: 30 per serving
Prep time: 30 mins
Total time: 30 mins
1/2 red cabbage
1 very large carrot
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 heaped tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar
juice 1/2 lime
1 tsp agave nectar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Finely grate the red cabbage and carrot. Squeeze the excess juice out of the carrot – I just use my hands but you can use a tea towel or one of those muslin cloths if you wish. Transfer the cabbage and carrot to a bowl.
2. Finely slice the radish and add to bowl along with pumpkin seeds. You could also light toast the pumpkin seeds for extra crunch. Lightly mix everything together.
3. Put all the vinaigrette ingredients into a empty jar and shake vigorously until it emulsifies.
4. Pour over the coleslaw and thoroughly combine. Refrigerate – it will last a few days.
5. Add some lime zest for a nice addition.