Finally! Summer has officially arrived in Cornwall and I am loving it. I was starting to feel seriously Vitamin D deprived, which for a sun worshipper like myself is never a good thing. I tend to get very grouchy when the sun is not out and is probably why I lust after a home in California.
Us vegans have to consider vitamins and minerals a lot – in actual fact we all should but for those leading a vegan lifestyle it is imperative. Therefore, I find myself planning my meals to include an array of ingredients that each serve a very specific purpose.
I know I plan on remaining healthy and I don’t aim to do it by spending my life in the kitchen – as much as I love cooking, I also have a life away from my stove. There’s way too much sun to be enjoyed and for those occasions I need something fast, furious and feverishly delicious. This salad is just one variation on about a hundred that I rotate frequently and I’m currently obsessed with adding a little fruit to the mix. Be it blueberries, strawberries or melon, toss it in for a summer spin on a daily staple for a truly sun kissed salad that will not only keep you happy on the inside but have you dancing to the beach in your bikini.
1/2 small little gem lettuce
1 spring onion/scallion
1/4 cup sprouted mixed beans
1 large closed cup mushroom
1/4 cup organic blueberries
handful of mixed seeds, pumpkin, sunflower, pine nuts etc.
For the Dressing:
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar
Juice 1/2 lemon
1 tsp agave or other vegan sweetener
2/3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Cut the little gem lettuce into small pieces, wash and dry. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Finely slice the scallion and add to bowl. Toss in the sprouted beans.
3. Clean and gently peel the mushroom - slice very thinly and add to bowl.
4. Put all the ingredients for the dressing into an empty jar and shake vigorously until it emulsifies. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Pour half over the salad and mix thoroughly ensuring everything is evenly coated.
5. Wash the blueberries, add to bowl along with the mixed seeds and mix. Spoon over a little more dressing, gently toss and serve.