Just because it’s Meatless Monday, doesn’t mean you have to miss out on those great dishes that traditionally carry meat. Meatless Mondays can be the ideal time to simply remove the meat protein and add a plant-based protein and add extra veggies in a dish.
In this recipe, we take the popular French dish, the quiche, and added leeks to give it an exquisite flavor. While the Quiche Lorraine is one of the popular forms of the quiche, the ham can easily be replaced by vegetarian or soy ham. Feel free to also add a vegetarian ham into this quiche as well. Although we’re sure that with just the veggies, this quiche is sure to satisfy you on this Meatless Monday.
Adapted from Fast, Tasty Vegetarian Quiche Recipe
For more Meatless Monday recipes, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)
1 pie shell
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (one standard package)
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
10 ounces sliced mushrooms (one can)
1 bunch leeks, washed well, white and green part only, thinly sliced
3 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
fresh ground pepper
- Prep the pie shell according to package directions (usually brush with egg and bake at 375F for ten min) then turn oven down to 350F.
- Meanwhile mix all other ingredients except eggs. Mound fillings into pie shell, do not press down.
- Beat eggs and carefully pour over top. You may need to adjust filling and egg amounts to fit your size pie shell. It should be very full but not overflowing the lip of crust. If you’ve over-filled be sure to put a baking sheet underneath to catch drips.
- Bake for about 60 min or until set and inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let firm up for 10 min before serving.