I’ve been trying to will Fall to happen in New York City. I’ve convinced myself that the more I cook warm spicy stick-to-your-ribs (but-not-to-your-thighs) food, the more likely it will be that when I leave my apartment in the morning I’ll find myself confronted by a ground full of autumn leaves. It’s not that I really want the cool weather to come; but between you and me, it’s getting kind of awkward to chow down on a bowl of chili with the air conditioning on.
Thankfully, this recipe for speckled green bulgur with a red potato sauce offers the best of both seasons. It’s stew-like without being heavy and the herb-flecked bulgur that it’s paired with is so fresh-flavored you might be convinced that it’s summer all over again.
Adapted from Madhur Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian
For more of Joanne’s recipes, follow me on Twitter (@Marcus Cooks)
For the Potato Sauce:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
12 oz fingerling potatoes, quartered
1 lb string beans, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 tsp salt
For the Bulgur:
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
4 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
4 tbsp dill, finely chopped
4 scallions, finely sliced
2 cups bulgur
1. To make the potato sauce, put the oil in a medium saucepan and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and fry it for a minute. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Next, add the tomato paste and stir it for a minute. Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika and cayenne. Stir once more. Add in 4 cups water, the potatoes, string beans and the salt. Stir and bring to a boil.
3. Cover, reduce the heat to a rapid simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Adjust the salt, if necessary.
4. To make the bulgur, cook according to package instructions, adding salt, parsley, cilantro, dill and scallions to the pot along with the bulgur before cooking.
5. Fluff after cooking. Serve topped with red potato sauce.