Recipe by Tawnya Manion
A few springs ago, I visited Argentina for a few months to take a little time off from my busy schedule and brush up on my Spanish. While in Argentina I fell in love with the culture, food, people, and wine. I went to a dozen Asados Argentinos (Argentine BBQs), ate tons of soft empanadas filled with beef, olives and hard boiled eggs, devoured the Alfajores filled with dulce de leche, couldn’t get enough of a lovely beet salad with avocado and goat cheese, and enjoyed having the chance to drink amazing Malbec with all of the yummy foods that I consumed on my trip. I love recreating the food that I had the pleasure to eat while in Argentina in my very own kitchen here in the States. In Argentina (and now at home), I serve this roasted beet salad alongside hanger steak and a small glass of Malbec.
Calories per serving: 250 per serving
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
1 lb beets, greens removed and pricked with a fork
1 avocado , peeled, pitted and cubed
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash the beets thoroughly, leaving the skins on, and remove the greens.
3. Place the beets in a roasting pan and toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
4. Bake the beets for 30 minutes, or until a knife can easily slide through the largest beet.
5. Cool and remove skins by rubbing the beets with a paper towel.
6. Cut the beet into a 1/2-inch dice, and place in a large bowl with the avocado, goat cheese, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
7. Toss the ingredients together until well combined. Serve alongside steak or enjoy as a main dish.