Sometimes breakfast needs sprucing up a little. Like most people, I too am guilty of having the same old oats every morning, like clockwork,along with a steaming mug of black tea with plant milk. That might sound boring but to me oats are among the most delicious, versatile ingredients out there plus they are incredibly good for you – cholesterol lowering properties, etc, etc.
Oats are akin to a blank canvas ready to be brought to life with the inclusion of just about anything. I’m sure many of you have your mainstays. Cinnamon and banana; Soy milk and sugar. All are valid. Indeed I have my own favorite oatmeal combo – filtered water, sliced strawberries and chopped pecans/walnuts with a drizzle of agave.
However, I force myself to shake it up now and again. Here’s one pre-prepared spruced up breakfast to get you going.
Mornings just got a whole lot better!
Recipe by Aine Carlin
1 cup porridge oats
1 ripe banana
1 heaped tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 tbsp agave
1 scant tbsp cocoa powder
1 medjool date
pinch pink Himalayan or rock salt
1/2 cup pourable coconut milk
small amount of vegan margarine
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees celsius/350 fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, mash the banana and stir in the peanut butter and agave.
3. Add the oats, cocoa powder and stir to combine.
4. Chop the date into small pieces and add to the oats along with the coconut milk. Thoroughly combine.
5. Grease two oven proof dishes with the margarine and divide the mixture between the two. Bake for 15 minutes.
Serve with sliced strawberries and cacao nibs.