Sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish to complement and round out a meal. They’re savory, with that touch of sweetness that pairs well with everything from roasted vegetables to a crisp salad! These Nutty Mashed Sweet Potatoes are soft and creamy, with the added crunch of caramelized nuts.
And what is a sweet potato’s best friend? Salt! Lack of it will make your sweet potatoes flat, and just sweet. Adding enough salt to a dish brings out all the flavors, from the fat of the milk to the roasting of the nuts. Add salt and taste; re-season and taste again. Salt is your friend!
Pair it with your favorite salad, quiche, grilled vegetables, protein, or seared tofu. Whatever your choice, it’s sure to be a deliciously nutty one!
Marnely Rodriguez, author of the food blog, Cooking with Books. A graduate of The Culinary Institute of America, has worked as an Overnight Bread Baker in Colorado, a Chocolate Maker in Virginia as well as a Pastry Cook on the whimsical island of Martha’s Vineyard, just to name a few. Currently residing on Martha’s Vineyard, where she is an endless search of flavors, tropical fruits and gastronomic inspiration. Follow her on Twitter: @nella22
For more recipes from Marnely, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)
3 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4- 1/2 cup almond milk
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
to taste: nutmeg, salt and black pepper
- To make pecans: Preheat oven to 350F. Make a simple syrup with water and sugar and cook until all sugar is melted. Toss pecans in the syrup and then layer on a parchment covered sheet tray. Bake until toasted and caramelized, about 5-10 minutes. Check constantly, nuts burn faster than you think!
- In salted, boiling water, cook sweet potatoes until tender. Drain water and return to pan.
- In a small saucepan, simmer milk and olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Mash sweet potatoes and add hot milk slowly, while mashing until creamy. Check seasoning.
- Serve topped with chopped caramelized pecans and a simple side salad for a delicious meal!