One 10-ounce package instant ramen noodles
1 tbsp peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Kernels cut from 2 ears fresh corn, or 1 cup frozen corn
1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
2 baby bok choy, thinly sliced lengthwise
4 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
Sambal Oelek (recipe follows)
2 Jamaican chilies, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
4 jalapeño chilies, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp light brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
Sambal Oelek Recipe
1. Toss the Jamaican chilies and jalapeños with the salt and brown sugar in a small bowl and let sit for 4 hours.
2. Heat a saute pan over high heat. Add the chile mixture and saute for 4 minutes. Transfer to a small food processor, add the garlic, and puree until smooth.
Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
1. Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, about 3 minutes. Strain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
2. Heat the peanut oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, corn, and jalapeño and saute until the garlic is golden, about 4 minutes. Add the bok choy and scallions and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the cooked noodles, soy sauce, and the reserved cooking liquid. Toss well.
3. Transfer the noodles to a large bowl. Top with the iceberg lettuce and the sambal oelek and serve.