You don’t have to use your muscles to serve this delicious meal! Do not be afraid. This scrumptious dish is actually quite simple to cook and people will think you put in a lot of hard work to assemble it. The hardest part is waiting for it to be ready so you can indulge. Other than that, this worry free meal pretty much cooks itself, literally.
For similar recipes:
For Tomato Broth:
2 tbs. unsalted butter
1 medium onion , finely chopped
2 cloves garlic , minced
¼ cup red wine
2 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
¼ cup tomato paste
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. sugar
5 basil leaves , chopped
2 tsp. oregano, chopped
2 lbs mussels
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup water
Baby basil leaves for garnish
For the Broth
1. Heat butter in sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
2. Add red wine and let reduce until dry. Add tomatoes and cook just to heat through, about 3 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix well. Before serving, add basil and oregano. Keep warm.
1. Place mussels in large bowl of water and ice. Add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and stir. Let mussels sit for 1 hour to purge. Once mussels are purged, rinse in cold running water, pulling off any beards; discarding. Set mussels aside.
2. In a cold sauté pan, add wine and mussels. Turn heat to medium high and cover. Cook 3 minutes. Remove lid and add water. Increase heat to high, bringing to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium and cook additional 4 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and discard any unopened mussels. Add warm broth and stir to coat mussels evenly. Garnish with basil.