Recipe by Lindsay Hunt
Do you ever want to pass around a snack when dinner guests arrive, but you’re too busy finishing up last minute details in the kitchen, and you might not have showered yet?
I am guilty of inviting friends over last minute, fussing over one baked good obsessively until they arrive, and then realizing that there isn’t anything to munch on before dessert is ready.
In preparation for the next time I had guests over, I wanted to develop a quick and delicious hors d’oeuvre that would be savory, decadent, and a little bit fancy. It needed to be fast since I’m inevitably running around in controlled craziness before a party, and of course, I wanted to make something cheap and wallet-friendly.
Enter these delicious crostini that make grand use of a little cheese, all with only a handful of mushrooms and a small baguette. If you’re growing fresh herbs in your back yard, pick a mixture of aromatics, otherwise, go for thyme. It’s fragrance goes perfectly with mushrooms.
Prep time: 6 Min
Cooking time: 7 Min
Total time: 15 Min
8 1/2-inch slices baguette, cut on a bias
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces cremini mushrooms (about 10), caps removed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
6 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 ounces Raclette cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the baguette slices with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Place the baguette slices on a baking tray and toast in the oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove from the oven and set aside. Leave the oven on.
3. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil and heat until shimmering.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until golden brown and tender. Add the majority of the thyme leaves, setting aside some for garnish. Toss to coat. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Distribute the mushrooms evenly between the toasted baguette slices. Top with the cheese and the remaining thyme. Place the tray in the oven and cook until heated through and the cheese is melted.
5. For an extra bubbly top, broil for 1 minute.
Serve with a glass of white wine!