A rack of lamb is an investment, but one you will be happy you made. The tender meat is encased in a savory miso crust, which pairs perfectly with the flavorful curry.
This dish is a combination of flavors from the east, taking its cues from Japanese ingredients and Southeast Asian curries. Enjoy for a special weekend celebration, after all, you deserve a delicious meal.
2 tbsp dark miso
1 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp mild chili powder
1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp chopped sage
2 tbsp olive oil
2 frenched racks of lamb(1 1/2 pounds each)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
For Broccoli Rabe Red Curry
2 cups broccoli rabe, (about 1/2 bunch)
5 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 red onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Juice of 2 limes
2 kaffir lime leaves
2 curry leaves
One 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp red curry paste
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 small Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 tbsp chopped blanched almonds
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
To Make Broccoli Rabe Red Curry:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the brocoli rabe and simmer for 30 seconds. Strain and rinse with cold water. Pat dry.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, cumin, coriander seeds, onion, garlic, lime juice, lime leaves, curry leaves, ginger, and curry past and saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
3. While the liquid is simmering, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the potatoes and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the almonds. Cook with the potatoes until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Stir the broccoli rabe and potato mixture into the simmering liquid and heat through. Stir in the yogurt and garnish with the cilantro. Season with salt.
To Make Rack of Lamb:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine the miso, butter, chili powder, egg yolk, and sage in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Add the lamb to the pan and sear until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Let cool slightly, then smear the miso-butter mixture over both sides of the lamb. Firmly press the panko into the miso-butter mixture on the rounded side of each rack.
4. Place the racks, rounded fat sides up, in a roasting pan. Roast until and instand-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 125 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes. Tranfer the lamb to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with the broccoli rabe red curry.