For the Lobster Roll
4 leaves napa cabbage, stems below the leaves removed
2 teaspoons white miso
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon sambal oelek, or about 6 drops Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 pieces quince, chopped
1 1/2 – 2 cups bite-sized chunks cooked lobster (from two 1 1/2- to 2-pound lobsters)
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
For the Herb Salad
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of 1 lime
2 sprigs fresh mint, leaves only
2 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves only
2 sprigs fresh basil, leaves only
2 teaspoons caviar, preferably from California farmed sturgeon (optional)
PREPARE THE LOBSTER ROLLS:
1. Blanch the napa cabbage in salted water, then remove from water and pat dry. Set aside.
2. Combine the miso, mayonnaise, lime juice, sambal oelek, cilantro, and quince in a medium bowl. Add the lobster and tomatoes and toss to mix.
3. Lay a piece of plastic wrap about 2-inches long on a work surface. Place a napa cabbage leaf in the center of the plastic wrap. Place a line of the lobster mixture—about 2 tablespoons—across the lower third of the leaf. Using the plastic wrap to help you, roll up the cabbage around the filling as tightly as possible into a compact roll. Place on a plate, and repeat with the leaves and filling, to make a total of 4 rolls. Cover and refrigerate.
JUST BEFORE SERVING, PREPARE THE HERB SALAD:
4. Whisk the olive oil and lime juice together in a small bowl. Stir in the herbs.
5. Using a very sharp knife, cut each roll into 2 or 3 pieces. Place on plates. Arrange the salad next to the rolls, garnish with the optional caviar, and serve.