Lido is an Italian restaurant in the heart of Harlem. They serve simple and delicious food, like this Chocolate Rum Tiramisu, in a friendly and warm atmosphere.
9 strips lemon zest
1 1/3 cups espresso
11 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups and 2 tablespoons mascarpone, at room temperature
2 1/4 cups and 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
1/4 cup rum
3x12 ounce packages Italian ladyfingers
cocoa for dusting
1. Put the lemon zest in the hot espresso to infuse and set aside until cold.
2. Put the cocoa in a bowl and gradually add the cream, whisking as you go.
3. Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler over boiling water. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 8 minutes, whisking constantly.
4. Remove from the heat and beat until thick and lemon colored then fold in the mascarpone.
5. In a separate bowl, whip the cream with the cocoa, rum, and vanilla to stiff peaks then gently fold in to the egg mixture and set aside.
6. Dip the ladyfingers into the coffee just long enough to get them wet. Do not soak them.
7. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture into the pan and smooth with an off set spatula. Arrange the ladyfingers on the cream, side by side. Spoon 1/3 of the cream mixture on top then repeat the process and finish with the last third of the cream
8. Dust thickly with cocoa and refrigerate overnight.