When I think of an ingredient that can bring a strong aroma to elevate the dish, I think of lavender. It is a subtle ingredient though, a few drops too much can result in tasting soap rather than a wonderfully scented culinary delight (and as adventurous as I may be in exploring new flavor combinations, I haven’t established a particular liking for soap).
Lavender-scented yogurt mousse is so light, that spooning for a humble bite will leave the air pockets popping out and will quickly melt in your mouth, leaving a sweet flowery trace. It will be so delicate that you won’t understand what you’ve tasted from the first bite. The second spoon, which will bring more clarity: yogurt mixed with the calming aroma of lavenders, will be barely felt and more and more flavor of lavender will shine through. From there on, it will be a straight but pleasant downhill journey. By the time you will fully understand what constitutes or underlines the taste, your tiny glass will be empty and you’ll be yearning for more.
500 ml cream, divided
1/2 tsp lavender
3 gelatin leaves, golden
50 g powder sugar
500 g natural yogurt
1. Bring 100 ml cream to simmer, add the lavender, cover and leave to infuse off the heat for 10-15 minutes.
2. Soak the gelatin leaves in ice-cold water for 5 minutes.
3. When the cream has infused with lavenders, bring again to simmer. Squeeze the excess water out of the gelatin leaves and stir them into the hot cream, till they have dissolved. Take off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Whip the remaining 400 ml of cream with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. When the lavender infused cream has cooled down a little, pass it through the sieve and mix with yogurt and remaining sugar, then gently stir in the whipped cream.
6. The yogurt mousse can now be divided between individual glasses or can be left to set in a single bowl and spooned after.
It goes impeccably well with various fruits (strawberries, raspberries, apricots, peaches and etc.), chocolate cakes, fondants and anywhere where a refreshing and creamy spoonful is appreciated.