For the Skewers
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoons chopped parsely
2 large garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil
juice from 2 limes
1 tablespoon yogurt
12 uncooked extra-large shrimp, peeled
4 pieces andouille (or other fully cooked smoked sausages), cut into 2-inch long pieces
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
cilantro , for garnish
For the Dirty Rice
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 cardamom pods
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons blanched, chopped almonds
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 garlic clove, chopped
For the Cilantro Yogurt
1/2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/2 tablespoon chopped parsley
6 tablespoons yogurt
juice from 1 lime
For the Skewers:
1. Turn the grill on to medium heat.
2. In a blender, puree the garlic cloves, olive oil, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, yogurt and the jalapeño.
3. Thread the shrimp and sausage pieces on skewers, alternating between the shrimp and sausage. Put completed skewers on a plate and pour the puree on top.
4. Grill skewers for 4 to 5 minutes, until they are fully cooked and the shrimp is bright pink.
5. To serve, spoon the Dirty Rice (see below) onto a serving platter and top it with the shrimp and sausage.
For the Dirty Rice:
1. Soak the rice for 30 minutes, and then strain into a medium pot. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, spices, almonds, garlic, ginger and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the liquid and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and add a teaspoon of salt. Let the rice sit for 25 minutes.
For the Cilantro Yogurt:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lime juice, cilantro and parsley with a dash of Tabasco sauce.