Get Fit For Summer!
Freshly made pesto often contains a delicious yet simple concoction of basil, olive oil, pinenuts, garlic and hard cheese. Very typical of Italian cuisine, pesto is one of the top 5 healthy sauces because it brings a lot of flavor to your meal without a lot of calories.
Any of these pestos can be served over pasta or spread over baguette pieces for a healthysnack. The basil and pine nuts are rich in nutrients while the olive oil contains healthy fats. But, basic basil pesto isn’t your only option. Here 5 different homemade pesto recipes to try for a fantastic meal!
1. Basil: The classic recipe, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts mixed together in a food processor. Add in garlic and olive oil until fully blended.
2. Parsley: Another twist on the basic pesto recipe is to use parsley. Combine parsley, pine nuts, grated Parmesan cheese, olive oil and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Scallion: Scallions are another great ingredient to use when making your own homemade pesto. Take scallions, sunflower seeds, lime juice, garlic, vegetable oil and salt and mix in a blender until a good consistency is reached.
4. Ramps: Also known as spring leeks, ramps have a delicious onion-y flavor. Try making a pesto with this spring foodie favorite. Fold the pesto in with ravioli, or garnish elegant Spring Crostini with the pesto!
5. Red Pesto: Who says all pesto has to be green? A red pesto is just as tasty as its green counterpart. Take sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pepper flakes, olive oil, thyme, and salt in a food processor until it comes together into a textured crumble. Add in walnuts if you want a different take from the typical pine nut blend and blend until smooth.