For those with an egg-venturous spirit like me, you can branch beyond the standard chicken egg and try an emu or ostrich egg, used below in my quiche recipe. For those of you in NYC, Roaming Acres Ostrich Farm from Sussex, NJ is often at the Union Square Greenmarket in NYC on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. You can also find them at the Columbia Greenmarket on Thursdays. If you can’t find emu eggs in your area, just substitute chicken eggs.
Rena Unger – Holistic Nutrition Chef
If you would like to reach out to Rena Unger personally please click here.
1 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 stick of grass-fed butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp berbere, cumin or curry powder
3 tbsp cold water
3 cups leeks, quartered and sliced
3 cups onions, thinly sliced
2 cups wild mushrooms
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp mirin or wine
1 emu egg,or 10 chicken eggs
2 cups shredded baby swiss
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Mix the flour, butter, salt and spice powder in a food processor. Gradually add water until a ball begins to form. Do not over mix.
3. Set dough aside in the refrigerator to firm.
4. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add leeks, saute until they begin to brown and caramelize. Deglaze pan with 2 tbsp mirin or wine. Remove from pan and set aside.
5. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add onions, saute until they begin to brown and caramelize. Deglaze pan with 2 tbsp mirin or wine. Remove onions from pan, add to leeks and set aside.
6. Heat mushrooms in same pan until water is released. Deglaze with remaining 2 tbsp mirin. Remove from heat and mix with leeks and onions.
7. Whisk egg(s) with salt and pepper and set aside.
8. Roll dough and form into pie pan. Blind bake the crust for 12 mins. To do this, line the pie crust with parchment paper and top with dried beans or pie weights. Remove the crust from the oven, remove parchment and pie weights, and cool for 10 minutes before filling. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
9. Sprinkle crust with 1 cup cheese, top with leeks, onions and mushrooms, then add whisked eggs.
10. Cover with remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes until center is set and top is golden brown.