Recipe by Varsha Seeharam
Creamy cardamom-scented ice cream, swirled with sweetened carrots, chockfull of whole roasted pistachios and a hint of saffron on the finish. It is the perfect summer treat, and all those carrots will help offset some of that guilt when you finish the whole pint in one sitting.
Calories per serving: 290 per serving
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 80 mins, plus 4 hours freezing time
3 cups shredded carrots
2 cups whole milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee (clarified butter, preferred)
½ - ¾ tsp cardamom
Generous pinch of saffron (optional)
¼ cup sugar
½ lb pistachios
¼ cup condensed milk (optional, but recommended)
Ice Cream Base (adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream)
2 cups milk
4 tsp cornstarch
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3 tbsp cream cheese, softened
For carrot halwa:
1. Dry roast the shelled pistachios at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes (or used roasted, unsalted pistachios).
2. Heat 2 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee and add shredded carrots. Cook 5-7 minutes, till carrots
are softer and tender.
3. Add milk, sugar, condensed milk, cardamom and saffron (if using) and reduce to medium heat, stirring frequently so milk does not burn. Allow to cool while
preparing ice cream base.
For the ice cream:
1. In a bowl, stir together 1/4 cup milk and the cornstarch and aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine remaining milk with the cream, sugar, corn syrup, and salt and bring to a boil over medium-
3. Cook for 4 minutes and mix in cornstarch slurry. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.
4. Add cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into a plastic bag; seal, and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled.
5. Combine the ice cream mixture with carrot mixture and add to ice cream maker. Process according to manufacturer’s instructions, adding in the roasted pistachios during the last 5
minutes of churning.
6. Freeze at least four hours.