BY AINE CARLIN
I really love bulgar wheat and it’s a fabulous alternative to couscous. The instructions on the packet really make me laugh though – recommending you bring it to the boil, simmer for far too long and then drain? Really? I’m here to tell you that is NOT the best way to cook bulgar wheat!
Try one part bulgar wheat to the same amount of boiling water, cover and allow to soak for 10-15mins, fluff with a fork and presto – perfect bulgar wheat every time! No need to drain and no messing with pots, pans or any sort of cooking accoutrement whatsoever.
I’m often in the house during the day and so I do have time to prepare nice lunches but even when I’m working, I will make a batch of something not unlike this and take it in with me each day.
You could totally mix it up doing a bulgar wheat salad for the first half of the week and a pasta or rice salad for the second half. Healthy, quick, filling, no lunchtime re-heating required and best of all it tastes fantastic.
Aine Carlin is a vegan blogger who specializes in vegan recipes. She also has a keen interest in vegan fashion and is currently training to be a stylist where she hopes to promote cruelty-free clothing and beauty. You can find more of her vegan recipes and vegan friendly fashion over atÂ www.peasoupeats.com
For more great recipes from Aine, be sure to follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)
1/2 cup bulgar wheat
2 small carrots
1 green pepper
1 small cooked beetroot
handful chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves
1/2 lemon juiced
2 tsp white wine vinegar
3 tsp olive oil
- Place the bulgar wheat in a large bowl and cover with 1/2 cup of boiling water. Cover with a plate and set aside.
- Cut the green pepper into quarters, put on a baking sheet and place under grill. Grill until the skins are blackened. Cover with a plastic bag or put in a container until slightly cooled. Then peel the blackened skin – do not rinse under a tap as the flavor will be lost. Cut into large pieces.
- Peel and grate the carrot. Wash the radishes and cut into quarters. Cube the beetroot. Finely chop the parsley.
- For the dressing put all the ingredients into a jar and shake.
- Fluff up the bulgar wheat with a fork and mix in all the ingredients. Pour over the dressing and mix ensuring everything is completely coated.