In honor of last night’s finale of The Taste, we asked guest mentor and judge Chef Jonathan Waxman to share a recipe with us. Jonathan’s cooking is famous for it’s delicious simplicity, and this dish is no exception. It was great having him on the show to help guide Team Marcus to a win!
4 4 oz filets of Arctic char(Fresh, skin on and boneless)
2 cups shredded savoy cabbage
4 mixed color carrots(peeled and shaved into ribbons)
2 shallots(peeled and sliced thinly)
2 garlic cloves(peeled and sliced thinly)
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp minced habenero chili
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp heavy cream
2 farm fresh eggs
2 oz olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1. Season Arctic char filets. Heat a cast iron skillet 8 inches in diameter to mid high temperature, add 1 ounce olive oil.
2. Cook the filets on skin side, cover pan and reduce heat to medium, cook for three minutes.
3. Turn off heat, gently move filets to a warm plate (skin side up).
4. Mix the ginger, sesame oil, chili, soy sauce, cream and eggs - whisk really well and add a pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper.
5. Reheat cast iron pan and add 1 ounce of olive oil and the butter. When sizzling add the cabbage and carrots, cook quickly for 4 minutes, stirring rapidly.
6. When cabbage is al dente, immediately pour in egg mixture. Cover and cook for one minute, add the filets skin side up, (with the resting liquid) and recover. Turn off the heat and wait 5 minutes.
7. Remove the filets to a warm platter, cut cabbage cake into four and place aside the filets, serve warm.