Tea is a great way to add flavor to a dish without adding the extra calories. In this rice salad, Earl Gray Tea acts as a great compliment to the types of rice being used. Adding citrus zest to the mix highlights the orange peel and bergamot flavors in the tea. The use of wild and brown rice creates layers of chewy texture and the fresh vegetables add a fabulous crunch.
You can enjoy this rice salad as a meal or serve it as an accompaniment to some of these tasty entrées:
Calories per serving: 86 per serving
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
2/3 cup brown rice
2/3 cup wild rice
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
4 Earl Gray tea bags
1/3 cup celery, chopped
1/3 cup red bell peppers, diced
1 handful parsley leaves , roughly chopped(about 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 tsp. orange zest, finely grated
1 tsp. lemon zest, finely grated
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. orange juice
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1. Combine brown rice, wild rice and chicken broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Add tea bags, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. After 5 minutes, remove the tea bags, recover and continue to cook until all water is evaporated and rice is fully cooked, about 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
3. When rice is cool, add celery, red bell peppers, parsley, red onion, lemon and orange zest; mix to incorporate.
1. Combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil, orange juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a metal bowl and whisk to incorporate.
2. Pour over rice mixture and toss to incorporate. Serve immediately or let flavors marry at room temp before serving.