When afternoon snack cravings hit, don't always reach for the Doritos-there are lots of great options for snacking that don't involved processed cheese products.
- Fruit Chips: Instead of regular potato chips, try a fruit variety. Apple chips are a classic, and I especially like Bare Fruit's cinnamon version. Sweet, crunchy, and filling, these apple chips put other brands to shame. Even better than Bare Fruit, however, are Danielle crispy fruit chips. Available at Dean & Deluca and Whole Foods, Danielle's chips come in banana, coconut, pineapple, spicy carrot, durian, jackfruit, mango, pumpkin, sweet potato, okra, and taro-enough choices to keep you satisfied for months.
- Greek Yogurt: Super tangy and thick, Greek yogurt seems like the snack of the moment. But with so many competing brands, what are the best options? Fage's yogurt comes with a little cup full of jam or honey, and their yogurt is so creamy it almost feels like dessert. But Chobani makes the most luscious yogurt of them all, with high quality fruit-on-the-bottom, too.
- Beef Jerky: Not necessarily a macho or truck stop snack, beef jerky is lean and high on protein. Green Light Jerky Company makes some unusual flavors like garlic Parmesan, Jamaican jerk, and prime rib dinner.
- Smoothies: Requiring a little more effort on your part, smoothies pack in the nutrients and keep more unhealthy cravings away. Use a juice base like pomegranate or acai, throw in frozen or fresh berries and a little of that Greek yogurt for a delicious afternoon snack. For an easy and delicious smoothie, try this Banana Smoothie with Flaxseed Meal.
- Pork Rinds: Pork rinds have an even worse reputation than beef jerky. Yes, they are higher in fat and sodium than fruit, but they deliver a high dose of protein and satisfy a savory craving well.