By:Â Michele Wolfson
As a personal chef, it's this time of year that I get a bunch of frantic phone calls on advice about how to detox after holiday indulgences. All of the excessive eating, heavy partying, and sleep deprived nights have caught up to most of us and that holiday bulge is a nuisance that has to be eliminated from the waistline as quickly as possible.
Many of us take our livers for granted, but did you know that the liver is a filter for the body and needs to be purged of toxins to stay healthy and function optimally? The liver is the largest and most complex organ in the body and it cleans and filters our blood 24 hours a day.
A stressed, toxic liver can lead to many health problems, also including weight issues and cardiovascular & degenerative diseases. Are you feeling tired, irritable or bloated? Is your hair falling out or having allergy symptoms? Is your skin dry, fingernails cracked and breaking? Do you have PMS? Constipation? Obesity? Thyroid issues? Irregular bowel movements? Any or all of these symptoms may be due to a toxic, run-down liver.
Below is a list of ways to protect your liver and a guide for a 3-day detox of your liver!
Ways to Protect Your Liver:
- Milk Thistle (herb)
- Vitamins C, E, B-complex
- Trace minerals
Guide to detoxing your liver
- Start your first evening by eating a light dinner and drinking pure juices and extra water.
- The next morning drink a large glass of fresh carrot, beet, spinach, and ginger juice.
Throughout the day drink a variety of pure juices and a lot of water. Here is a list of some juices that are beneficial for detoxing:
- Lime juice mixture (10% lime, 90% water)
- Grapefruit juice
- Apple juice
- Cranberry juice
- Spinach juice
- Beet juice
- Coconut water (juice)
- Vegetables should be either raw or lightly steamed, plain (no salt, etc).
- Beans are also beneficial to the liver cleanse.
- Fish oil supplements are great to take as long as they are free of toxins.
- Flax-seed oil is also valuable to your system.
- Continue to drink a lot of water and pure juices throughout the day.
- Eat lightly throughout the day - you should not feel hungry or try to lose weight during this time.
- You can do light exercise. Do not do anything strenuous so the body can heal and cleanse itself.
- A tip for the final day would be to slowly incorporate solid foods like beets, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, melons and papaya. On the last day...
Try to eat less or not at all, especially if you aren't hungry. Digestion takes a lot of energy, and that energy should be focused on cleansing and healing the body.
A side effect to detoxingÂ your liver is losing weight, but if you are not eating when you are hungry to accomplish this, you are diminishing the beneficial effects of the liver cleanse.
How to detoxify your liver in a healthy way:
- Continue the 3-Day Detox with fruit juice, vegetable juice, fruits and vegetables.
- Beans can also be incorporated for the fiber.
- Continue this as long as you feel good doing it - if there are harsh side effects, it may be from the large of amounts of toxins being purged.
- Listen to your body- If you need to discontinue after a few days, or sooner than you had planned, that is okay!
- It's better not to over-exert your system. Be gentle with it and start up again in a few days or a week or two.
How to detoxify your liver on a daily basis:
- Drink a glass of warm water with lemon juice every morning.Â
Photo:Â Â hepp
For more healthy tips, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)