Get Fit For Summer!
When summer heat arrives, it can encourage you to cool off with a pint of ice cream. However, staying cool and eating healthily are not at odds. With some planning and easy recipes for low calorie summer desserts, you can keep cool and stay trim at the same time. Whether you're aiming for a healthy treat or a small low calorie bite, these options will be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and the scale.Â Or, try a tart Rhubarb Crumble to make this month's star ingredient shine.
1. Old-Fashioned Fruit Crumble: For a small tasty treat that only takes 25 minutes to make, make a berry and fruit crumble. The healthiness of blueberries and peaches combined with the sweetness of the brown sugar and cinnamon is sure to peak your dessert interest.
2. Diet Root Beer Float: An easy treat that you can also drink is a diet root beer float. If you're looking for something a little healthier than ice cream, stick to frozen yogurt (which is a great treat on its own) and this treat will only cost you 100 calories each!
3. Fruit Salad: Try a delicious fruit salad for your after-meal treat. Mix it up by dusting a little cayenne on a mango and pineapple salad, or dollop a spoonful of Greek yogurt on the first of summer's peaches and strawberries. No matter what you choose, it will certainly be healthy and delicious.
4. Frozen Bananas: Blend frozen bananas until it resembles soft serve consistency. Mix in 1 tablespoon maple syrup or sprinkle with a dusting of cocoa powder over it for some extra tastiness.
5. Homemade Popsicles: Always a perennial summer treat, popsicles a perfect way to nosh on something sweet while staying cool. For a healthy alternative and a fun weekend project, make your own! Try flavors that highlight seasonal fruit for a delicious summer treat.
Do you have a favorite low calorie summer dessert?