Spring weather tantalizing you from outside your office? Take a weekend getaway to refresh your mind, body, and stomach! The New York Times Travel section shared a list of weekend getaways, but if you're food-focused, promises of snorkeling or snow-laden slopes probably doesn't pique your interest as much as a taste of the best chile in all of New Mexico does. Here's our take on five locations from their list, with a noteworthy food destination for each.
1. Montreal, Quebec - Montreal stays cold long into spring, but the food is well worth a visit. The venerable Au Pied de Cochon serves nose-to-tail cuisine, awing even the most intrepid meat-eater. You can even take part of the restaurant home with you with a jar of home-canned tomatoes, or a loaf of their tangy homemade sourdough bread.
2. Negril, Jamaica - Visit the Hungry Lion in Negril, Jamaica for fresh fish and great music. The food is excellent, and well worth a visit for anyone on a weekend jaunt to Jamaica. For a great cup of coffee, visit Selina's for a delicious iced coffee and a snack.
3. San Antonio, Texas - Reachable from almost every city around the country, San Antonio offers temperate climes throughout most of the year. Start with a meal at Boudro's on the Riverwalk, and then venture out into Hill Country for delicious Texas Wines. While you're in Hill Country, stop into Rather Sweet Bakery for a pillowy, Apple Smoked Bacon and Cheddar Scone or a cinnamon roll.
4. Santa Fe, New Mexico - Known for the fiery chile sauce New Mexico has a vibrant local cuisine. In Santa Fe, stop by Horseman's Haven Cafe for a two-chile sauce rendition of Huevos Rancheros. Don't miss The Coyote Cafe for creative takes on delicious Southwestern cuisine.
5. Stowe, Vermont - Great for travelers from Boston, New York, Washington, D.C. and Chicago, Stowe has slopes for skiiers beginner to intermediate. On a day away from the mountain, take time to go maple sugaring. At this time of year, the sap from the trees is dripping out, and you can take home a fresh bottle of this natural sweetener. Extending your weekend getaway throughout breakfasts to come.