The weather is warming up and there are few better treats for a hot day than a bowl of ice cream. Instead of spending extra money on fancy flavors, buy a pint of high-quality vanilla ice cream and try these five combinations for fun flavor-boosters! Â For a healthier option, choose frozen yogurt. For a fun and kid-friendly activity, set out bowls of each topping and let everyone top their own bowls of ice cream or frozen yogurt. Bonus activity: snap a photo for each mini chef to have after their delicious treat is gone!
1. Speculoos and banana: Made from ground spice cookies, speculoos spread is addictive. Originally from Belgium, speculoos is gaining popularity in the United States, and it can now be found in many supermarkets. Mixed with bananas and briefly warmed on the stovetop, speculoos is a wonderful addition to any ice cream or frozen yogurt flavor.
2. Ginger beer: Instead of a root beer, whip out the ginger beer when you crave a float. With its slow-burning heat, ginger beer is especially refreshing poured over a scoop or two of vanilla. Consider garnishing with a slice of crystallized ginger or a sprig of mint. Don't like ginger beer? Mix it up with one of these Artisanal Sodas.
3. Granola: This breakfast staple makes for an equally tasty ice-cream topper. Crunchy granola packed with nuts and dried fruit brings textural interest to an smooth and creamy bowl of ice cream. Flavor variations like peanut butter and tropical mixes let you customize your treat. Adding fresh fruit gets you partway to parfait.
4. Salted caramel and toasted coconut: Caramel sauce is a conventional ice cream topping. To increase the flavor quotient, sprinkle sea salt on top. to make a salty-sweet combo. Top it all off with a sprinkling of toasted coconut for a nutty, slightly savory chew.
5. Cocoa Powder and Flaxseed Meal: It may sound strange, but cocoa powder and flaxseed meal give a delicious texture and taste to your frozen yogurt. Fold these two ingredients in for added fiber and a low-fat chocolate flavor without a lot of extra calories.
For a decadent a la mode ice cream sundae, make some Quick and Easy Brownies and top with a scoop of ice cream.